Chicago creates CREATE Program
Chicago Region Environmental and Transportation Efficiency (CREATE)
One way to tackle freight congestion at Chicago’s railyards.
CREATE is a first-of-its-kind partnership between U.S. DOT, the State of Illinois, City of Chicago, Metra, Amtrak, and the nation’s freight railroads. A project of national significance, CREATE will invest billions in critically needed improvements to increase the efficiency of the region’s passenger and freight rail infrastructure and enhance the quality of life for Chicago-area residents.
Chicago’s rail corridor sees 25%of the country’s freight rail traffic. CREATE is set up with 70 projects and will achieve $31.5 billion in economic benefits with better roads, improved crossing, increased safety, fewer delays, economic growth, sustainability, and reduced congestion.
- Improve passenger rail service
- Reduce freight rail congestion to boost regional and national economic competitiveness
- Reduce motorist delay due to rail conflict at grade crossings
- Enhance public safety
- Promote economic development
- Create and retain jobs
- Improve air quality
- Reduce noise from idling or slow-moving trains