Coronavirus Impacts on Shipping in Canada
Cargo Transportation Unaffected by Provincial State of Emergency Declarations
Ontario and Quebec closed non-essential services earlier this week, and New Brunswick and Nova Scotia have limited non-essential services and tightened provincial entry points. However, there have been no measures affecting the carriage of goods between the US and Canada or between provinces. Scarbrough’s Canadian partner has updated us with the coronavirus impacts on cargo shipping in Canada below:
Many provinces have declared a state of emergency or declared the coronavirus a health emergency, but the implications vary by each area:
- Saskatchewan Current Public Health Order was published on March 20, 2020. No trade or transportation restrictions noted.
- Manitoba State of Emergency, updated on March 21, 2020. No trade or transportation restrictions published.
- Alberta Health declared a public health emergency in its Record of Decision—CMOH Order 02-2020, dated March 17, 2020, which does not pertain to trade or transportation.
- British Columbia declared a state of emergency and has provided several health orders, which are published on its COVID-19 page. They do not affect transportation.
- On March 25, 2020, New Brunswick updated its Renewed and Revised Mandatory Order COVID-19. Section 15 states that “All unnecessary travel into New Brunswick is prohibited;” however, “commercial drivers delivering goods” are exempted from this restriction.
- Nova Scotia declared a state of emergency on Sunday, March 22, 2020. It restricted non-essential services, but left other critical businesses open, including those in food, agrifood, and fisheries; transportation, including trucking, rail, and transport; construction and manufacturing; and IT, telecommunications, and critical infrastructure. Additionally, the Nova Scotia border will tighten at all entry points, with exception to “healthy workers in trades and transportations sections who move goods and people…”
- Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland Labrador have not declared a state of emergency.
Need help with your North American Cargo?
The Scarbrough Group of Companies is known for its expertise in transportation throughout all of North America, including border crossing drayage services and Customs brokerage. Scarbrough Transportation customizes nationwide domestic transportation solutions to fit our clients’ needs, including FTL and LTL services, flatbed, intermodal, refrigerated truckloads, and special projects. Scarbrough Transportation can increase freight capacity and improve efficiencies by utilizing our extensive carrier network and relationships, as well as provide fulfillment and distributions capabilities. Moreover, Scarbrough Transportation’s bilingual team offers a comprehensive range of expertise. It is our job to make your job easier and more efficient. Often, we create customized solutions for our client’s complex needs.