Federal Register Notice on Comments Towards Section 232 or Automotive Investigation
Section 232 Investigation Comments
On May 23, 2018, the Secretary of Commerce initiated an investigation to determine the effects on the national security of imports of automobiles, including cars, SUVs, vans and light trucks, and automotive parts. This investigation has been initiated under section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962, as amended. Interested parties are invited to submit written comments, data, analyses, or other information pertinent to the investigation to the Department of Commerce by June 22, 2018.
In particular, DOC wants information about:
• The quantity and nature of imports of automobiles, including cars, SUVs, vans and light trucks, and automotive parts and other circumstances related to the importation of automobiles and automotive parts;
• Domestic production needed for projected national defense requirements;
• Domestic production and productive capacity needed for automobiles and automotive parts to meet projected national defense requirements;
• The existing and anticipated availability of human resources, products, raw materials, production equipment, and facilities to produce automobiles and automotive parts;
June 22, 2018
The due date for filing comments, for requests to appear at the public hearing, and for submissions of a summary of expected testimony at the public hearing
July 6, 2018
The due date for rebuttal comments submitted in response to any comments filed on or before June 22, 2018.
July 19 and 20, 2018
The Department of Commerce will hold a public hearing on the investigation on these dates in Washington, DC. The hearings will begin at 8:30 a.m. local time and conclude at 5:00 p.m. local time, each day.
Where to go
All written submissions must be in English and must be addressed to Section 232 Automobile and Automotive Parts Imports Investigation, and filed through the Federal eRulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov.
- To submit comments via www.regulations.gov,enter docket number DOC-2018-0002 on the home page and click “search.”
- The site will provide a search results page listing all documents associated with this docket.
- Find a reference to this notice and click on the link entitled “Comment Now!”
For further information on using www.regulations.gov, please consult the resources provided on the website by clicking on “How to Use This Site” on the left side of the home page).
- For alternatives to on-line submissions, please contact Sahra Park-Su at (202) 482-2811.
The public hearings will be held in the Department of Commerce’s auditorium at:
1401 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20230