Section 301 List 1 Product Exclusions Extended
List 1 exclusions extended
Section 301 List 1 Batch 4 Exclusions Extended for 6 Months
Effective July 6, 2018, the U.S. Trade Representative imposed additional duties on goods of China with an annual trade value of approximately $34 billion as part of the action in the Section 301 investigation of China’s acts, polices and practices related to technology transfer, intellectual property, and innovation. These goods are classified in 818 8-digit subheadings of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTSUS) and are known as “list 1” of the Section 301 tariffs.
List 1 Section 301 tariffs place an additional 25% on imports from China, however, several exclusions have been announced. The exclusions are retroactive to July 6, 2018 and expire one year from the exclusion publication date in the Federal Register. Moreover, several exclusions have been extended on specific products and another announcement was just made to extend certain products on List 1 Batch 4 exclusions for another 6 months. These will be extended until December 31, 2020.
These products include:
- HTSUS 8481.10.0090 (other pressure-reducing valves)
- HTSUS 8483.50.9040 (other flywheels and pulleys)
- filtering or purifying machinery or apparatus of a kind used for waste water treatment (HTSUS 8421.21.0000)
- air purification equipment, electrically powered, weighing less than 36 kg (8421.39.8015)
- armatures designed for use in hydraulic solenoid valves (HTSUS 8481.90.9040)
- C-poles, of steel, designed for use in hydraulic solenoid control valves (HTSUS 8481.90.9040)
- metering spools, of aluminum, designed for use in hydraulic solenoid control valves (HTSUS 8481.90.9040)
- metering spools, of steel, designed for use in hydraulic solenoid control valves (HTSUS 8481.90.9040)
- poles, of steel, designed for use in hydraulic solenoid control valves (HTSUS 8481.90.9040)
- push pins, of steel, designed for use in hydraulic solenoid control valves (HTSUS 8481.90.9040)
- retainers, of steel, designed for use in hydraulic solenoid control valves (HTSUS 8481.90.9040)
- stereoscopic microscopes, not provided with a means for photographing the image, valued not over $500 per unit (HTSUS 9011.10.8000)
- adapter rings, tubes and extension sleeves, stands and arm assemblies, stages and gliding tables, eye guards and focusing racks, all the foregoing designed for use with compound optical microscopes (HTSUS 9011.90.0000)
The rest of the products on List 1 Batch 4 exclusions expired on May 14, 2020 and the 25% ad valorem charge will be assessed.
Duty Refund Opportunities
Any importer that has imported List 1 products on or after July 6, 2018 should apply for a refund from U.S. Customs if the exclusion has not yet expired or has been extended. The exclusions are available for any product that meets the description in the Annex, regardless of whether the importer filed an exclusion request. To request a refund of Section 301 duties paid on previous imports of products granted duty exclusions by the USTR, importers may file a Post Summary Correction (PSC) if within the PSC filing time frame. If the entry is beyond the PSC filing time frame, importers may protest the liquidation.
Section 301, U.S. Customs, PSC, & Protest Help
Don’t have the time or not sure if it’s worth it? Scarbrough Consulting, Inc. can do this for you or guide you in the right direction. Scarbrough is offering a FREE 30-minute consultation to any importer affected by the Section 301 Tariffs. Our consulting team of Licensed U.S. Customs brokers are also capable of filing PSCs and Protests on your behalf. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the form at the bottom of this page.
A summary of each Section 301 list & exclusions can be found on this page.
Sign up for a Free Consultation
The Scarbrough Group of Companies, headquartered in Kansas City with local presence in every major port in the world, is a complete international and domestic supply chain service provider, offering U.S., Mexican, and Canadian Customs brokerage, Import & Export Transportation Solutions, Domestic brokerage and asset-based trucking, Warehouse fulfillment and distribution services, Trade Compliance Consulting, Large Equipment and Project Cargo moves, as well as Parcel Audit Savings. Scarbrough is widely known for its trade experts, training, personalized customer service, and customized solutions. Since 1984, Scarbrough has continued to satisfy its clients by following its motto on a daily basis: “It is our job to make your job easier.” Moreover, our team of experts is available at your disposal. We offer free consultations on any topic from supply chain optimization and duty savings opportunities to the basics, helping to guide new importers and exporters as they jump into the world of global trade. Contact us now.